This is a mass transit system used
in Sheffield and surrounding area.
Existing network / routes - see map
SYPTE website: South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive.
Proposed extension to network:
West Bawtry Road, East Bawtry Road and Bawtry Road between Rotherham and
Hellaby, through Wickersley and Bramley.
Not everyone is keen to see the Supertram extension go ahead.
The NO SUPERTRAM campaign is based in Rotherham.
Leaflet shows the tram to Malin Bridge being splatted with a custard pie.
As of May 2003 they had 6000 names on a petition, and had leafleted homes
along the proposed route.
There's also a VIRTUAL TRAM RIDE on the BBC
They are opposed to the extension of the route for a number of reasons:
- Claim public consultation on the route was a 'sham'
- Negative effect upon Rotherham town centre economy - provides access only
to Sheffield and its suburbs (have already suffered when Meadowhall opened)
- Negative effect upon Bawtry Road's economy - especially during the
- A visual eyesore with its stanchions, overhead cables, tracks and termini
- Inappropriate means of transport within a residential area
- Will encourage people to work and shop in Sheffield rather than Rotherham
- Poor track record of existing Supertram usage: 22 million passenger trips
was the target, 11 million passenger trips actual
- Poor financial record of existing Supertram - receives over £10 million of
Government subsidies per annum
- Road safety: a rise in traffic accidents after introduction of Sheffield
- Cost: massive cost - massive increase in construction costs - new
proposals will cost over £300 million, and local tax payers may have to fund
- No screening, disguise or enhancement would be possible due to the
proximity to houses
- Established and mature landscaping features would be destroyed
- Road traffic would not necessarily decrease, and would be added to by tram
- Tram priority prevents smooth traffic flow
- Tram would take passengers from what is an existing quality bus corridor
Pushing for a public meeting, and want people of Rotherham to contact
Alastair Darling MP: Secretary of State for Transport.
Recent interesting postings on he Sheffield Forum.
Also check out
ROTHERHAM UNOFFICIAL site.
For more details, see:
Rob Foulds (01709) 532500 or Roger Formby
101a Bawtry Road
RETURN TO TRANSPORT LINKS PAGE